Sentimentality

Author: Jack

I haven't been writing very much personal junk lately, cause I can't say I appreciate the postly psychological evaluations that come my way. Anyway, I was talking to a friend whose parents have both died, and she had something very interesting to say. Of the wonderful grades she got this past semester, she did fail one class. Her sister heard about it, and one thing she came back with was a "What would mom and dad think?" She told me she doesn't give a (crap) about what her parents think, which seemed over the top, until she continued, and explained what she meant. She cares about her parents' opinions, but not enough to make herself stop to become who they want her to become. One particular point she made was very interesting. Something to the effect of "Children must make their own decisions, becoming different people from what their parents wanted them to be."

I have been constantly growing into my own person, while accepting the similarities between me and my parents. I am certainly not them. (particularly politically-- i like hillary, my mom doesn't) And so this post is not one they would approve of, and I know that from the beginning. At the same time, this is me, this is what I believe, and I am my own person.

I try to stay away from too-touchy subjects on here, because I hate to argue with people I think are wrong. (funny, huh?) Especially people I love, though. I have my own opinion, as my own independent person.

What is the definition of being "gay" in our culture? Is it the physical attraction towards the same sex, or is it the official pronouncement of "I'm comin' out!"

I have a lesbian friend who had a difficult time in her region after she came out. This was some of what she had to say.

I am gay And now have been beaten at least four times for it. why is the world full of such hate. I have friends who wont even talk to me now that I am in the open. I am happy and if you have a problem with that you can go {be with} the opposite sex for all I care.


It hurt to hear of it, especially because she's in another part of the United States altogether, so i didn't feel like I could offer the comfort and friendship to the extent she needed. I've been thinking on the subject of tolerance in this area.

Y'know, it's really funny because I hear people saying "the church is against gay marriage" but they don't remember, realize, or mention that the church is also for tolerance to homosexual members and nonmembers. They issued an official document concerning homosexual feelings. Of course, they address members who are being tried with homosexual tendencies, but they also briefly speak to other members of the church.

Some people with same-gender attraction have felt rejected because members of the Church did not always show love. No member of the Church should ever be intolerant. As you show love and kindness to others, you give them an opportunity to change their attitudes and follow Christ more fully... A number of Latter-day Saints with same-gender attraction are moving forward with their lives by carefully adhering to gospel standards, staying close to the Lord, and obtaining ecclesiastical and professional help when needed. Their lives are rich and satisfying, and they can be assured that all the blessings of eternal life will ultimately be theirs.


The First Presidency stated: “We encourage Church leaders and members to reach out with love and understanding to those struggling with these issues. Many will respond to Christlike love and inspired counsel” (letter, Nov. 14, 1991). It is also often helpful to seek guidance from professional counselors who are experienced in working with same-gender attraction issues and whose counsel is consistent with gospel teachings.


And to His children who struggle,

You are a precious son or daughter of God. He not only knows your name; He knows you. His love for you is individual. You lived in His presence before you were born on this earth. You cannot remember your premortal relationship with Him, but He does. Although His children may sometimes do things that disappoint Him, He will always love them.



I think we've forgotten that these are children of Heavenly Father. I had a friend who, as we were talking the other day, was bashing a certain boy band. I was fine with that; she can have her opinion of their music. But when I asked if they were gay (based on a couple seconds of a music video I'd seen) she responded, "I hope so" because she can't stand homosexuals, and it would make it all the easier to hate them.

I believe that married, or unmarried, heterosexual, or homosexual, people ought to have the same tax benefits of married people. I'm not sure whether or not gay/lesbians ought to have the ability to have the status of marriage, but they certainly ought to have the benefits that come with it. Maybe something similar to marriage someday?

I believe that there is no reason a gay couple could NOT raise a successful child into a stable, good adult.

1-- There are many couples who have lived without the Spirit who have successfully raised a good child.
2-- There is nothing in a gay relationship that could not happen in a 'straight' relationship.
3-- and, no, it doesn't turn their child gay (rolling eyes if you actually thought that)


Some myths that are actually believed:
Gays become child molesters or are pedophiles
Gay PEOPLE are evil.
These feelings don't happen to people who are doing what they ought to do.
The feelings are not easy to just get rid of.
Just because you have these feelings, does not mean you're gay
It won't make a child gay if their parents are gay.
Gay is not a synonym for stupid.



Check this out.

"Reasons to Choose to be Gay"

1. To become rejected by society.

2. To have multiple religious groups against me.

3. To raise my risks of becoming physically harmed.

4. To take risks of being mentally harmed.

5. To have fewer rights than everyone else.

6. To risk losing the support of my family and friends.

7. To risk losing my family and friends all together.

8. To risk losing chances at jobs.

9. To get flamed for being a "flamer."

10. To be a large target for rude jokes.

11. To be degraded by others.

12. To be talked about as "things" instead of human beings.

13. To raise my chance of being led toward suicide.

14. To lose my chance at a rightful marriage.

15. To lose myself because I'm hiding from everyone else.


Who wouldn't choose to be gay?!?!



The Heterosexual Questionnaire


1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

2. When and how did you first decide you were a heterosexual?

3. Is it possible your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?

4. Could it be that your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?

5. If you’ve never slept with a person of the same sex, how can you be sure you wouldn’t prefer that?

6. To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies? How did they react?

7. Why do heterosexuals feel compelled to seduce others into their lifestyle?

8. Why do you insist on flaunting your heterosexuality? Can’t you just be what you are and keep it quiet?

9. Would you want your children to be heterosexual, knowing the problems they’d face?

10. A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexual men. Do you consider it safe to expose children to heterosexual male teachers, pediatricians, priests, or scoutmasters?

11. With all the societal support for marriage, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?

12. Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?

13. Considering the menace of overpopulation, how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual?

14. Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Don’t you fear s/he might be inclined to influence you in the direction of her/his own leanings?

15. Heterosexuals are notorious for assigning themselves and one another rigid, stereotyped sex roles. Why must you cling to such unhealthy role-playing?

16. With the sexually segregated living conditions of military life, isn’t heterosexuality incompatible with military service?

17. How can you enjoy an emotionally fulfilling experience with a person of the other sex when there are such vast differences between you? How can a man know what pleases a woman sexually or vice-versa?

18. Shouldn’t you ask your far-out straight cohorts, like skinheads and born-agains, to keep quiet? Wouldn’t that improve your image?

19. Why are heterosexuals so promiscuous?

20. Why do you attribute heterosexuality to so many famous lesbian and gay people? Is it to justify your own heterosexuality?

21. How can you hope to actualize your God-given homosexual potential if you limit yourself to exclusive, compulsive heterosexuality?

22. There seem to be very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed that might enable you to change if you really want to. After all, you never deliberately chose to be a heterosexual, did you? Have you considered aversion therapy or Heterosexuals Anonymous?




Please just remember that people with homosexual tendencies are not the "Them". They are the us, though they may not be the YOU. Be more supportive, more kind. More tolerant, please?

 

1 Response to “Sentimentality”

  1. Anonymous

    Many thoughtful ideas here, some of them only interesting because they're provocative. And the basics of what you are saying is on solid ground--treat everyone with respect, allow civil rights.

    But I wonder if we've considered where this is all leading. for example, some of my gay friends a few years ago said, 'allow civil unions, we just want our civil rights'. Then as soon as that happened a number of places, suddenly the language changed to, 'no, we want the respect that comes from having our union considered a marriage'. And after that, it will be, 'no one should be able to say in a public setting that our marriage is any different in quality than a heterosexual marriage. In fact, no one should even be able to perform marriages who isn't willing to marry gays if asked.'

    Think that's far-fetched?

    Item: California passes a law outlawing negative references to homosexuality in schools, or promoting one lifestyle over another. Some experts feel it made lead to the absurd conclusion that words like father and mother cannot be said in school, because that would promote a heterosexist view.

    Item: The California Supreme Court strikes down CA's law limiting marriages to heterosexual couples. Part of the rationale was that CA has a law giving civil union status to committed gay relationships, and if you give one you have to give the other.

    How far are we willing to go?


Leave a Reply

My Tunes


Where Are You From?