Two Lists of Teachings or Practices of the LDS Church that I Intend to Continue or Discontinue Incorporating Into My Life

Even though I no longer affiliate myself with the organization The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and I do not consider myself to be one of their members, there are traditions, practices, and teachings that I will continue to keep in my life, and will one day teach my children. Some of these are specific to the Church, like the Primary songs I'll be singing to my children, and some of them are not tied specifically to the Church, like the belief that one should ponder things out in our hearts or the belief that we must love one another. In my own way, even though I no longer consider myself Mormon, I'll always be a Mormon girl.

The following two lists, (the first being a list of traditions, aspects, or teachings I intend to keep, the second being a list of traditions, aspects, or teachings I no longer believe and will no longer be continuing to incorporate into my life, and intend to not incorporate into my family's life) are not meant to offend or hurt. This is for the sake of honest communication, as, over the course of the past 9 months, I have had many people ask me why I'm leaving, or why I no longer feel I can support the Church. Most of my answer has been to the reason of "I found in a higher way of thinking, that being gay was okay, and after that I realized I could no longer coincide with the Church", but it is somewhat more complicated than that--- which you found, if you questioned me further. If you're one of those people, this is your answer.

I understand that people on both sides of the spectrum will disagree with a couple things I have listed, and that's okay. This list is not meant definitively, nor is it meant in terms of being a list of the good or bad of Mormonism. Honestly, few may agree and that's okay because this list was my list, not your list, and I imagine that if you were to create a list, I would not agree with everything on that list either. We're two separate people, and that's how it's supposed to be. If you see yourself being very hurt or very angry, you have my permission to stop at anytime throughout the text.

You will notice that the list of things I will continue to incorporate into my life is longer than those I don't. However, most listed in the second list are more important to me, and most listed in the first list are not equivocally tied to the Church. I do not intend to join or attend any church that agrees with many of the things on the second list. It's nothing against the Mormon Church, as much as it is that my beliefs do not match up/line up with the teachings of the Mormon Church. I believe that God would best support me supporting a religion that I agree with, rather than staying with one that I don't upon the hope that I will receive exaltation.

I know some of you will not agree with me having posted this note, and if that's the case, for heaven's sake, keep it to yourselves. Nothing will profit you from telling me that you don't think I should have done something I already did. AND, if you don't think it should have been posted, you probably weren't the ones it was directed to, so don't worry about it: you don't have to read it.

On a side note, if there are any things you feel I have left out, because I know I must have, leave a comment at the bottom (I responded to things that have been on my mind, and mostly the list of gospel topics on lds.org), and I'll be sure to edit the note and address that point. If you are offended, angry, or hurt, please don't leave divisive or negative comments about it. I will delete your comment. This is a list of my beliefs, and I hope you can respect that it is as perfectly acceptable for me to be appropriately vocal about my lack of belief in those men being prophets, as it is for you to be vocal in your belief that they are indeed prophets. If you have a question, or want something clarified, I am willing to discuss, not to debate, over facebook message, or over email at krazykiddz@gmail.com. Remember, too, that there may come a time in that discussion that we will simply have to accept that we will not agree.

I'll tag some people in this note, not as a list of people who this was directed to, but rather as a list of who I would like to look over the list. I want some feedback, and I want to be reasonably challenged so I can verify once more what I believe, (i.e. Can I back it up?) since I believe the questioning of one's beliefs is a positive attribute.

Now, to continue with my list:




Beliefs and/or Practices I Will Continue to Incorporate Into My Life


* Their approach to abuse: encouraging forgiveness w/ the correct timing, while encouraging justice and healing w/o self-blame

* The belief (*T b) that everyone experiences grief and adversity, and that we all deal with it in our own time, in our own way

* T b that you can live out eternity with the one you are wholly committed to (difference of opinion, however, on how best to show that commitment, or how to join the club on who gets to live it out)

* T b that women should only get an abortion if they cannot emotionally or physically handle the pregnancy or birthing

* T b that each person has the ability to choose (free agency) (differences of opinion, however, on what the best choices are to choose)

* I'll be singing primary songs, like my mother sung to me, to my children. I will also continue to sing many of the hymns from the LDS hymnal.

* T b that it is severely important to learn how to love one another

* So far, I still definitely think that Joseph Smith was a prophet.

* T b that men will not be punished for Adam's transgression

* T b that there are certain universal laws that all men must live by (however, difference of opinion on what those laws are)

* T b that all men ought to have the right to practice religion as they wish, as long as it is not directly harmful to people or animals

* T b (in terms of doctrine, not necessarily that of all their actions) that it is right to be good to people, to be friendly, tolerant of others' beliefs, to be honest-- which is what I'm doing w/ these lists--, to be generous, to not hurt your fellow men, women, children, animals, or the world we live on.

* T b that birth control is between the two beings in question, and whatever they feel is right, however and wherever they may discover their answer from.

* T b that there is a higher and a lower afterlife. I believe that there are degrees of the afterlife that vary in terms of each person, and each family. I believe that families continue on into forever, but that a "family" is not necessarily meant in terms of "a group that is connected by marriage or blood", but rather "loved ones who support each other and hold each other up with a degree of commitment", but that those loved ones can and often are related to each other through marriage or blood.

* T b that a couple (homo & heterosexual, which is a difference of opinion) can obtain the ultimate commitment and should show that commitment in the best way they feel possible, and that adultery is unequivocally wrong. The utmost respect and commitment should be shown to those who you are thus bonded to.

* T b that people should only begin dating upon reaching a mature level. However, I think it is more of a personal matter, and whether that level is mostly or always reached at age 16, or not, I'm not sure.

* T b that we can see our loved ones after death.

* T b that there is most definitely evil in the world, but not necessarily that it is encouraged by one evil source (a.k.a. the devil)

* Except for things like receiving an education, avoid debt at all costs

* T b that under the correct circumstances, as they range from abuse to irreconcilable differences, divorce is appropriate as long as it is done in the right way

* T b that receiving an education, men and women, is of the utmost importance. For whatever/whoever you plan (or upon the incidence of an accident) to bring into this world, be sure you can support them.

* T b that there are things that we can do to strengthen our families.

* T b that it is important to be prepared, whether that be with a savings plan, or having food storage.

* T b that to forgive is a divine (or a higher) attribute

* T b that it is important to connect with our ancestors

* T b that gratitude is a divine (higher) attribute

* T b that true honesty, with one's self, with respectful honesty with those around you, is a higher attribute

* T b that a higher way of thinking would seek for us to find true happiness, which can be found inside of us upon making the right decisions. (however, difference of opinion on what those right decisions are. For instance, now that I've chosen to be true to myself as a gay woman, I'm much happier... but the Church would not consider that a choice that would make me ultimately happier-- I disagree)

* T b that humility is a higher attribute (however, there comes a time when we must stop apologizing and we must choose to be direct)

* T b that judgments must be guided with righteous intentions and guidelines (however, difference in opinion on who is supposed to judge, what they're allowed to do what those judgments, and what those guidelines are)

* T b that we all have access to obtain personal revelation through a higher way of thinking.

* T b that sacrifice can help us obtain a closer connection to that higher way of thinking.

* T b that the service of those we love, and those in our community, as well as those in other communities-- with similar or dissimilar beliefs to ours-- is necessary for the well-being of humanity and it is necessary for personal growth.

* I will continue, as I can, attending appropriate religious services, in hopes of coming closer, through greater introspection, to that higher thinking.

* We both (the Church and I) believe in peace, but will accept war when necessary.



Beliefs and/or Practices I Will Discontinue Incorporating Into My Life


* The belief that the priesthood (as in "the power of God, and the right to act in his name") was meant for men, and that they have a closer connection with God because of it-- I believe that this connection is equally accessible to both men and women and is something that is internally acquired, not acquired through an ordination

* T b that the leadership of the church is made up of prophets. I believe that they have as much of an access to Godly knowledge (a higher way of thinking) as any of us, but I believe that sometimes they have a closer connection due to the amount of time they spend focusing on the cultivation of that connection. Mostly, I believe they talk with God, but they do not speak for God. They are men who are subject to their own prejudices

* T b that consumption of a mild amount of alcohol or drugs is morally wrong

* There are several scriptural references that I, and much of the educated world, differ, due to some significant translational evidence, in opinion in terms of the Church's scriptural interpretations.

* T b that baptism by water is currently necessary to enter into their ideal afterlife. I believe it was once a symbolic fulfillment of what many call "conversion", but it is more accurately a specific change that occurs in us that qualifies us.

* T b that both the King James Version of the bible is an accurate translation (as we are constantly finding new discoveries that give us greater insight into the translation of words, and the belief that the Book of Mormon is unequivocally the Word of God. HOWEVER, in order for something to qualify as the word of God, in my belief, it need only follow what the Lord teaches, and because I find many similar teachings in what I find with God, and what I find in the Book of Mormon, my belief is that there is much to glean from reading the Book of Mormon.

* T b that the 10 tribes will converge in America

* T b that faith (as in the un or little questioned trust that those who claim to be prophets of God, speak for God) is a Godly attribute. I believe that God, or any higher being of high morality, would hope that we would not just pray and be faithful that the answer we feel we have gotten was right, but that we would study it, as Joseph Smith did. Jesus had his doubts, so he studied them for the answers, as he tried to keep his connection to the higher way of thinking, through what many would consider to be "prayer". Only through questioning and truly finding out for one's self, can one be truly at peace with their beliefs.

* Body piercing, the consumption of coffee & tea, swearing (done in the correct setting), acquiring tattoos, these are personal choices. Pretty sure God is still going to be okay with you if you've got a nose ring, as long as you've been good and kind and loving and accepting.

* I believe that fornication and adultery are two separate issues, as adultery deals with a heart wrenching dishonesty and the breaking of an utmost commitment. Polyamory is different than adultery, and very similar to polygamy. Polyamory is the belief-- held by both/all in the relationship-- that it is possible to love and to fulfill this utmost commitment with multiple people.

* T b that we must unequivocally follow all laws of the government. Sometimes riots, boycotts, necessary force is... necessary. Only sometimes, but... yeah. Mostly, I agree with shooting down a bad government, whether it be by the law or not. By the law first, then, if it's not working after a long amount of time, you take whatever means necessary.

* T b that homosexuality is more morally wrong than heterosexuality. I believe that anything wrong with homosexuality is wrong with heterosexuality (i.e. adultery)

* T b that marriage is the only right way to show a perfect commitment to who you share that ultimate commitment with.

* I absolutely cannot agree with the patriarchal order, as I believe it makes the woman second class in the relationship.

* T b that only in the LDS temple, and only through the ordinations accomplished there, can you be sealed with your family, and be with them for forever.

* T b that there is only one right way to live our lives, that there is only one path to "heaven"



* "T b" stands for "The belief..."

 

4 Responses to “For Those Who Have Asked Why I No Longer Associate Myself as a Member of the LDS Church”

  1. Anonymous

    I just want to address some of the things you said in your discontinue list, we’ll see how many I have time for.
    1 – The men hold ‘the cup’, but without women, the cup can’t be full. Just as men have their priesthood callings, women have their callings and special abilities that men don’t have. Women have a better ability to nourish, raise, love, and take care of things. Being a male, I’d honestly rather have that responsibility.
    2 – You talk about the prophets like us (Latter Day Saints) think they’re perfect, and we know that they are not. They are humans as well. You are right, we do have access to ‘Godly knowledge’, it’s called personal revelation. It is their responsibility to spread it to the rest of the world, not ours. They do speak for God, how else would God communicate to those in our world who need it?
    3 – It is wrong because it can become addictive. Many people who try it once will be addicted for life. Do you expect the rule to be: Only those in a certain category of people cannot drink alcohol or use drugs, because they won’t become addicted to it. No, that would not be right. Would you prefer being a slave to a mere drink?
    4 – I obviously can’t address your fourth reason because you did not cite anything specific. However, there are many very educated LDS who don’t have trouble with the Church’s scriptural interpretations.
    5 – ‘Being baptized is how we show faith in Christ, repent of our sins, receive the Holy Ghost, and enter in the kingdom of God.’
    6 – Not quite sure where you are going with this one, to be honest.
    7 – And what do you find hard to believe in that?
    8 – We are encouraged to study and ponder what we hear in church, or wherever. We are encouraged to ask questions and to think about it, but if we don’t at once find the answers to the questions that we have, then faith is what can pull us through. You can have questions and have faith too.
    9 – We are created after God’s own image. Our body is a gift, to be treated with the most respect possible. He will love us whether we drink beer, have a tattoo, are gay, or if we don’t believe in him. I’m not quite sure when swearing would be right. When you swear, you are letting the natural man take over.
    Anyways, I’m going to stop there, because I don’t have time to address the rest, maybe I can come back. I’m sure if I wrote a whole book about your blog post, you still wouldn’t change your mind. It’s hard to take things back.
    There are plenty of things I don’t understand either, but it all comes down to whether or not Joseph Smith was a prophet of God or not, and he was. God loves you, and he wants to give you everything he has.


  2. Jack

    Thanks for replying. Now, i hope you don't mind if I reply to your post :)

    1-Having a gift from God, and having authority over others are two different things. I'm addressing the authority.
    2- I never said that they thought that they were perfect, only that we believe that what they say is perfect, as they have a connection with God that we do not. I don't believe that they do. In fact, I believe that ANY amount of personal revelation is available to us, and that no one has precedence over us in their personal revelation. Because I believe that there are multiple paths to true happiness and perfection, I can't believe that one person's personal revelation can be the same for all of us, that often.
    3- Prescription drugs, sex, shopping, and food *can* be addictive and are condoned. Simply because they *can* be addictive, it does not mean that, in terms of safe, mild, smart consumption, alcohol and drugs *will* be addictive. I only condone a mild consumption.
    4- Absolutely. My point was that it was not as clear cut as we were taught in Sunday School.
    5- Um, that's what you believe. It's not what I believe.
    6- Like I stated before, I'm outlining basic differences of beliefs that I have with the Church... Did you read the intro to this blog?
    7- Maybe that it's extremely jingoistic?
    8- http://www.mrm.org/topics/documents-speeches/bruce-mcconkies-letter-rebuke-professor-eugene-england
    http://byustudies.byu.edu/Products/MoreInfoPage/MoreInfo.aspx?Type=7&ProdID=1145
    http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,89-1-353-29,00.html
    If you don't follow their commandments, you don't fit in, you don't get to think for yourself. Even if you think for yourself, even if you pray and decide that you have received personal revelation, if it goes against what the Prophets have said, forget it.
    9- Why do you believe that letting yourself do something that you are naturally inclined to do is wrong, as long as it's done in the right setting?


    Thanks for replying, but, really, what were you trying to accomplish? You knew you weren't going to change my mind. You knew you weren't going to change yours. Did this make you angry, or did you need to clarify something to yourself? I was an extremely faithful Member for 20 years, giving everything of my heart, my head, and my soul to this Church, while trying to attain my Self. So, no, since I've already had all of what you said to me carved into my hands and heart for 20 years, I probably maybe might have thought this through and decided that I maybe probably actually believed what I was saying?


  3. Anonymous

    I replied only maybe because I was sort of kind of really bothered by the things you probably maybe might have actually said. I would reply, but it would be a waste of time, but I hoped it wouldn't. If you sort of don't really want somebody with a different view, you could just kind of say it.

    I forgot, you have that higher thinking now, which is flawless.

    I think you seem like a good person, but you think you see things that other people don't see. Ask yourself this: Have I realized things that no other faithful member of the church has ever realized? If the answer is 'yes' then you are wrong, and you are full of yourself. Saying you have a higher way of thinking confirms this.

    I'm sorry if I sound nasty.


  4. Jack

    Hahaha, okay ?:) if that's how you wanna spend your night, you're welcome to go right ahead.


Leave a Reply

My Tunes


Where Are You From?